Friday, April 24, 2009

Generation Y Not

I am a Gen Y kid. I am happy to be one, but am often concerned by the bad wrap we have, and feel, like any stereotype, it is not universally true, and cannot always be applied.

I am frustrated when old-timers like to point out how we have it so much easier these days. You’ve all heard those recycled lines, “I used to walk up hill both ways in the snow…”, or “We didn’t have these confounded contraptions,” and what not.

Please, don’t get me wrong here, I have the utmost respect for my elders. I am fortunately close with a genius of a grandfather, with so much experience that I am lucky enough to learn from. He has published a memoir of his life and trials for his grandchildren that I can take with me for life, and I am grateful.

What I am simply saying is that, although we have been given the luxuries of technology, we didn’t ask to be born here and now. I’d rather not be looked down upon for learning how to incorporate these technological discoveries into our lives. It is strange to feel punishing eyes on me when I harmlessly text in public…

We can’t choose our generation, and we can’t choose the morays of our time. We can take what generations before us have provided, learn from it, and mold in into something that suits the time. I can’t say I am always happy with society, but the youth of now didn’t single-handily shape it. We’ve only just dipped our fingers in. Can you blame us for dealing with the problems and progresses with what past generations have left? Is it not just what you did? We are a product of the past.

The demands placed on our generation are, in many ways, much stiffer and tougher than they once were. Life back then was simple – difficult, yes – but safer, and much less complicated. I can’t take the trolley home without a hand safely cradling my pepper spray. And every day that I go to my college classroom, I reflect on the sad fact that even this degree alone won’t get me a job. The necessity of grad school is pushing its way into my mind. To think there was a time when you could drop out of high school and still be successful…

I am happy to be born where I am, in a generation that is optimistic, strong-willed and passionate. Yes, we may have increased expectations, but we have been given the capabilities to view the broad world. Through technology, we are able to see EVERYTHING that is out there. Can you chastise the dreaming youth?

A new study has been done that shows our generation is more narcissistic than the past- a phenomenon due to a mix of reasons: Soft parenting, social media, reality shows and celebrities. There is truth in this, I’ll admit, but I would also like to push that it cannot and should not be applied to everyone. Optimism is not always narcissism. We may not be the best, but what is the harm in striving for that?

Some characteristic about Generation Y:

• We are Internet gurus, and in the next few decades, will show amazing and unthinkable growth with this tool. (I’ll go as far as to say, it does make us a little impatient and demanding, “We want it here, now!”)

• We care about the world and its problems. Our initiative to “Go Green” will surely have an important positive impact for our planet’s future. The idea of “globalization” is only going to grow.

• We were born into a culturally-diverse environment and are more tolerant of differences (race, gender, sexual orientation) than our parents' and grandparents' generations.

• Our vote has power! We will have a huge part in international affairs

Anyway, what do you think? Hostile, destructive and egregiously demanding, or sympathetic, ambitious, and progressive?

No comments:

Post a Comment