Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A Grad's Perspective


(A blog for my internship)

As a soon-to-be graduate of SDSU, I definitely have concerns for my upcoming induction into the ‘real world’, that, whether I like it or not, is rapidly approaching. Needless to say, those of us graduating this May are facing a difficult job market and will have to take it head on.

I find myself in a situation in which, come my commencement on May 23, life as a college student will end leaving me with absolutely no concrete plans . . . a circumstance that I am not at all accustomed to. For my entire life, I have always had a definite direction that shaped my choices.

Presently, I can’t make even the simplest of decisions until I know where I stand as far as securing a job. Summer travel plans, living situations, and prospective part-time positions are on hold until I am certain that the economy has completely defeated my efforts to find a stable job. I definitely feel as though I have discovered where the sidewalk ends.

The realization of no longer being a part of the student population, and just another citizen in the world is a daunting and yet sobering one. I have made it this far, and I am satisfied that my college experience has adequately prepared me for what lies ahead. Being lucky enough to intern with SDSU’s Marketing and Communication Department will hopefully give me that extra step.

Whether grads will have to seek out positions unrelated to our field, or find part-time jobs until the economy perks up, we have been equipped with the tools to succeed and we will eventually find our chance, even if not as immediate as we hoped. Though it might be easy for prospective grads to be discouraged, lets keep our heads up because we have something to offer the world. There is hope for us! Good luck to all the 2009 grads!

No comments:

Post a Comment