Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Journey of a Thousand Miles...

It's late (somewhat) and I'm tired (somewhat), but this blog has to start at some point, so here we go. I find myself returning to writing every time there is, or about to be, a big change in my life. And, the next big change is about 6 months away. I'm planning to move to New York City. That's right, a small town girl taking a bite out of the big apple (I promise that is the last time I'll use that expression within this blog).

So how did this opportunity come about? That would be the result of dating a boy. This boy, driven and determined, was very recently accepted into Columbia University next fall for graduate school. This boy, named Rob, is also currently a captain in the United States Marine Corps and has a few months (can you guess? six) left of service. So, I've been presented with this opportunity. I can either stay in beautiful San Diego in a job that gives me a lot of anxiety where most of my friends have moved away since college, or I can move with Rob, whom I love with a crazy passion, and take my chances at a once in a lifetime opportunity to experience (and afford!) New York City.

Some people might think it's a little risky to move across the county with your boyfriend. And they're absolutely right! But if you live safe and comfortably your entire life, how will you ever find the thrill and excitement of the unknown? I like a challenge, and so I plan to take it on. Whether it all turns out in the long run, its my life, and I only get one shot at it- unless I'm reincarnated. But that's an entirely separate blog. :)

Has living in New York City always been a dream of mine? Not exactly. Well not at all. I'm not really a big city girl. But, in a way, I feel it's a challenge for me. And really, it's only two years (hopefully) of my life. Or maybe I'll end up loving it more than I think I will. Who knows?

So, finally, what is the purpose of this blog? Being a planner, writer and having slight (undiagnosed) OCD, I've decided to document the planning, questions, fears, hopes, dreams, problems and thrills of this entire journey. From the planning process, to the reality of it all, you'll find it in this blog. Hopefully, this can also be a road map to young couples, singles, or anyone planning to make the move to New York City.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your big decision! I hope to be doing the same thing one of these days...

    ReplyDelete